VE Day 1945 and sandwiches were the main order of the day during the street party celebrations, as was beer (that is, until it ran out in the pubs, well before the 10.30pm curfew!) But people wouldn’t have been celebrating the same as we do today. Wartime rationing meant sugar and butter were hard to come by, so this eggless fruitcakes would have been the next best thing!
1. Place the brown sugar, water, raisins, oil, cinnamon, and cloves in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and bring to a boil
2. Cook gently for 5 minutes, then remove from the heat and let cool until the mixture is comfortably warm to your finger
3. While the mixture is cooling, preheat the oven to 180C / 350F
4. Grease and flour an 8×4-inch baking pan
5. Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add them to the cooled sugar mixture, beating until no drifts of flour are visible and the batter is smooth. Then stir in the walnuts
6. Spread the mixture evenly in the baking tin and bake for 25-30 minutes
7. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn onto a rack to cool completely if you want to add a good glaze, save back bit of the hot spiced water and mix with icing sugar, a drop of vanilla, and a pinch salt. Glaze the cake while hot.
READY IN: 1hr SERVES: 15
Connect with us
View by date
Houses that are marketed at the advised initial asking price are more likely to sell faster than those that need to be reduced… The Stamp Duty Holiday ends in six months, on the 31st March 2021, and if you’re hoping to move before the stamp duty deadline, we’d like to share some brilliant, eye-opening advice …Read more...
Six months after announcing the original Lockdown, Boris Johnson announced new restrictions to curb a second lockdown… Last night, Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, announced new restrictions which will last a further six-months and has warned the public to follow them to avoid a second national lockdown. The new restrictions include a 10pm enforced …Read more...
With the Stamp Duty Holiday due to end in March, and the time it’s taking for a purchase to go through, get your property market ready today! When it comes to marketing your property, the first thing buyers look at are the photos. Good photos of your property can have a huge impact on …Read more...
It’s time to hit the hedgerows and roadsides for nature’s free feast We are heading into the season of mellow fruitfulness. It may not seem it in this crazy year, but in what seems like a bat of an eye, we are already into September, a month where we traditionally hang on to summer …Read more...
Books help to heal the soul, and at this time, more people than ever are turning to books for comfort… Just twenty years in, the 21st Century has already gifted us with so many inspirational pieces of literary work, worthy of comment. So we’ve picked five books, of different styles and genres, which …Read more...